When is the Ideal Time to Visit an Orthodontist?
Many families in Hong Kong have inquiries about orthodontic treatments but some are not sure when to start. It is important that you know when to start so you can save your teeth. Below are some things you need to know about Orthodontics to guide your journey.
Why consider orthodontics in the first place?
Orthodontics correct poorly formed teeth and jaws. Keep in mind that crooked teeth are more challenging to clean. If it is harder to clean, you are at risk of losing it early because of tooth decay.
If your teeth do not fit together correctly, it can cause more stress on your chewing muscles, which can eventually lead to headaches and shoulder/back pain. Finally, there is an issue of diminished self-confidence because it can affect your appearance.
There are many benefits of orthodontic treatments but in general, it can ensure a healthier mouth and a more pleasing appearance. The specialist is called orthodontist. They receive more years of education and training compared to dentists.
So, when is the ideal time to visit an orthodontist?
Many circumstances require you to see the orthodontic but in general, the best time is when you notice a problem with the alignment of your teeth or the quality of your bite. You must be aware that there are conditions that may not be as obvious, which are often overlooked. Here are some instances when it is best to see orthodontists:
Here are some things to remember for kids:
- The AAO (American Association of Orthodontists) recommends a visit with a specialist no later than seven years old. This is because the orthodontist can identify subtle problems with emerging teeth and jaw growth.
- Remember that there are conditions that are faster and easier to treat at an early stage. This is because children’s natural growth process is still active. Simply put, their teeth and jaw are still growing and shifting making it easy to treat problems like a crossbite.
- The treatments may not be immediate for kids. In most cases, kids do not start wearing braces until they are around nine to fourteen. As a parent, you still have time to save for the treatment until they are ready.
Here are some things to remember for adults:
- If you are an adult, it is not too late to start orthodontic treatment and the best time is now.
- There are many treatment options you can consider from invisible aligners to clear braces, lingual braces, and translucent ceramic braces.
- With many options, you can choose a treatment with minimal changes to your appearance.
It is time that you make an appointment. You should expect a clinical exam, special x-rays, plaster models of teeth and full dental health history along the way. These things are important for the orthodontist to develop a treatment plan that is right for your needs.
- Featured image -